Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Home Study process begins . . . . .

August 1, 2007


After reviewing the homestudy information, I begin to plot out gathering that data. According to our agency, they won’t even take our money to begin the home study without all of these documents being in place and presented. I just love these people already! Here are the items we have to gather PRIOR to requesting a home study to begin.


PRIMARY DOCUMENTS

1. Four letters of reference: must include people from at least 3 of the following areas in our lives: Friends, Family, professionals, or associations with social, support or faith groups you are a part of.
2. Identifying documents: a recent photo of us, a copy of our birth certificates, marriage certificate.
3. Financial documents: copy of most recent federal income tax return, copy of primary checking account statements from last 2 mos., complete budget worksheet.

SECONDARY DOCUMENTS

1. A medical certificate signed by our doctors and notarize giving a statement of good general health.
2. Since I am in therapy, my therapist must write a reference stating I am capable from his perspective of parenting a child.
3. Criminal Clearance at the SBI level.
4. Adoption Education – Daddy and I must complete a minimum of 5 hours of training/education each from a list of approved sources for adoption education. I’ve heard a few people say this is a PITA, however, I am anxious to learn more. You know, birthparents do not receive a manual with their children (and some are in desperate need of one), but adoptive parents have a unique opportunity to soak up information and not be looked down upon for not knowing intuitively all the right answers. I am choosing to embrace this requirement. It is the very least I owe MyMy to be as prepared as I possibly can be. Daddy will undoubtedly try to become the “bigger expert” than I and this is one competition that I’m ok with him winning. He is over the moon about this whole thing!

Off we go!!!!!

No comments: