Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Thursday, October 11, 2007

YEAH! I got my first official "Here's Your Sign" comment!

I love Bill Engvall . . . . he is the comedian that does the "Here's Your Sign" stuff, in case you didn't know. The idea is that people that are a few fries short of a happy meal or a few letters shy of a full keyboard should wear signs letting the rest of us know where they are on the food chain.


Actually . . . . I got TWO of these comments in the same day this past weekend! Don't get me wrong, I've had some ignorant comments made to me so far, but not specifically about my baby in particular, just dumb comments about the process in general. See this link:http://sharonchronicles-adoption.blogspot.com/2007/09/answers-to-these-and-many-other.html

Incident #1
So, I'm at my mother's store pillaging through the 6-9 month section and pulling out my latest items (MyMy's closet is 1/2 way full and I am still paperchasin'!) when this really sweet mom struck up a conversation. She had a 1 month old and 2 other children that were 3 and 6. She probably has a good idea when children do things developmentally. She asked if my baby was with Daddy since she couldn't get a visual on who all these clothes were for.
Then my mother pipes up "WE are adopting from Viet Nam. WE don't have the baby yet, but WE are getting things ready for her when she gets here so." I just love that my mother is so psyched about this!
The young mom says "Viet Nam?? Do you know how old of a child you will be getting?"
Me: "I am guessing that our baby will be between 6 months and 12 months. I think the average is 8-9 months."
Young mom: "Will she speak Vietnamese?"
Me: *are you kidding me? look on my face* "No . . . . . . did your children speak English by the time they were 12 months old?"
Young mom: "OH . . . duh . . . . . "
Me: *burst out laughing to lighten the mood*
Incident #2
I leave my mother's store and go to Diva Girl to get my hair did. I love this woman. She is so awesome! We chat about what is new in adoption land and she starts telling me about this great new place for me to buy maternity clothes.
*crickets churping in background*
HERE'S YOUR SIGN
We both ended up laughing our heinies silly about that one.
This is gonna be fun!

4 comments:

Tweel said...

I am SO going to meet you one day! WITH MyMy preferably! You are just one AMAZING woman! Hugs! xxx

Fred said...

LOL!! Too funny!!!

#1 can definately be excused by the sleep deprivation thing. In fact that is a very normal and intelligent thing for a monther of a 1 month old to say really.

#2 - bless her heart!!

Anonymous said...

Just wait they will get worse and I love the Here's Your Sign jokes too and never considered putting the stupid things people say in that light! Great idea!

Megan said...

That made me laugh out loud. I can't wait to read more about your journey!