Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The email in question?????

Sarah, our social worker, referred to an email I sent her a couple of hours ago. Just thought I'd share it with you all so that you can see what she was talking about. I imagine it would be hard to figure out how I could crack someone up with an email about an education form, but . . . . then again . . . look who we're talking about here . . . MyMy's mom! CHA CHA!

Hi Sarah and Kelly!

Sarah, I am attaching a copy of our completed and signed Education Form for our home study. I am forwarding the original in the mail today, but wanted you to have it as soon as possible for the home study completion. After what we have learned, it is clear how much more we HAVE to learn. I feel like what I've learned so far is just how much I don't know, if that makes any sense. I can diaper the bum,mix the formula and rock-a-bye baby 'til the cows come home. It is the other stuff that we've never had experience with that we need to "make like a sponge" about. Specifically, attachment issues are of great interest to us. Kelly, if {our placing agency} is sponsoring or knows about any more opportunities for us to be more educated in this area, I'll buy front row seats. We are both currently reading Attaching in Adoption. I am scouring the internet (which can cause great anxiety!) as well for information. My sister told me that if I go too overboard, my child might dip herself in Crisco just to try to slip out of my grip and get away from me. Yikes! So, I am trying to not go overboard, but rather, to find out what is reasonable to expect and what I need to be prepared to do from our very first day as a family. I figure, as with anything else in life, there is a happy, yet elusive, medium that would probably be the best approach in dealing with attachment issues and I am determined to find it. We are pretty early in reading the book I mentioned above but I am getting the sense that our child will be the guiding light in what we need to be doing to bridge the gap of her not having parents the first few months of her life. I imagine, if she is anything like my sister's children, she will be telling us what to do about a lot of things!

One more thing; I'm sorry I didn't get an opportunity to speak with either of you at the Baby 101 class. I was a little caught up in thinking about the attachment issues the instructor talked about and got a little emotional for some reason. I knew that if I tried to talk to either of you, I might start crying thinking about those little babies in the orphanages that could come and live with me right now! Sarah has seen me cry . . . . it isn't pretty. So I figured I would spare both of you! Oh . . . . and the thing that I learned in class that shocked me the most is that my husband has NEVER changed a diaper! Not even a peepee diaper! After 9.5 years of having regular contact and babysitting our niece and nephews (2 of which were in diapers at the same time) I can't believe he managed to weasel out of diaper duty for so long without me noticing! There was no way he was getting out of that room without repenting by having to diaper Betsy Wetsy in front of a crowd. The class was $10.00, but that moment was PRICELESS!

Thanks for all that you do!

No comments: